Saturday, February 10, 2007

Retro Reading - The Dueling Machine

So, I finish this stack of old books with one called The Dueling Machine by Ben Bova. Ben Bova had become one of my favourite authors after having read Mars by him, and so when I was picking out these old books, it was a delight to see a Ben Bova book.

I never know how these books will turn out. A lot of them can be really awful, while there can also be some real gems, and I'm glad to say that this is definitely a gem and Ben Bova's writing didn't disappoint.

The setting takes place in a world that feel have pretty much solved the conflict of mankind by allowing people to step into these booths and settle grudges by creating scenarios, much like those in a Holodeck. The catch is that there isn't supposed to be any harm to the people involved in these scenarios, so when someone dies after coming out of it, and another one going into a coma, the inventor of the dueling machine gets called to the planet where this occured to find the reasons why it did. The result is quite a story as we later find out that it's all due to a plot from an enemy planet to try to take over the entire sector after having found some of the flaws of the machine. Sure, it sounds like standard Sci-fi fare, but it really is quite remarkably written in that you really get involved in the story wondering what will happen next. Its probably not considered a classic by authority figures, but I sure consider it a classic in my collection. Sometimes the older books tend to have the best writing and can actually be called literature. A lot of newer would always like to be considered that, but it isn't always the case.

3 comments:

  1. ya know... I'm not normally a sci-fi kinda girl but that book looks interesting!

    Nice to see a post stranger!!
    and thankyou for letting me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big sci-fi fan (ok, not as big as my hubby, but still... ) and man does that book look good!

    I'm going to have to start writing these titles down!!!

    And maybe buy a bigger bookcase, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I know the feeling. My Bookcase isn't big enough lol.

    ReplyDelete