Saturday, May 17, 2008

Movie Review: Ironman

Last weekend, the summer blockbuster season literally started with a bang with the release of Ironman.

I hadn't read the comic books or knew much at all about what Ironman was about, except that it was about a flying tin-man. I went in the theatre last Saturday, with literally no expectations. And was I blown away?

In fact, I was. It was the perfect movie to open the summer blockbuster season with, and I can confidently say that those who aren't fans coming in, will like it as much as fans of Ironman.

Ironman brings a dose of realism to the big screen as far as superhero movies go, much in the way Batman Begins did for Batman. In fact, it's probably even more-so socially relevant of a movie than Batman Begins was, or any Superhero movie of the modern century for that matter.

As for the cast, I've always been very fond of Robert Downey Jr., and he IS Ironman as far as I'm concerned. Fans have told me that he portrayed the character of Tony Stark very well, and owned the role. An underrated actor that has gotten propelled into the limelight again, and I'm glad. One of my favourite roles of his was Chaplin, in which he so immersed himself in his role, transforming himself into Charlie Chaplin.

And then we have Gwyneth Paltrow who was charming as ever playing Pepper Potts, Tony Stark's secretary/assistant.

What can I say about Jeff Bridges? Well, this role has him almost unrecognizable except in closeup shots. His bald head and full beard has him looking unlike how I've ever seen him. Quite an accomplishment.

In short, it's a movie that is really worth seeing. It's probably one of the best movies to ever start the blockbuster season with. Speaking of Blockbusters, this summer will be a very busy one in terms of major releases!

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The Dark Knight. All sequels that people are anxiously awaiting, especially Indy being back.

Tomorrow I go see Prince Caspian and I'll write up a review for that.

1 comment:

  1. You're Back!!! Missed ya and yes my brother inlaw last night said the same thing about Ironman being the best Superhero movie he's ever seen!!

    ReplyDelete