Saturday, September 13, 2008

Music: Great Big Sea - Fortune's Favour

After having finally picked it up after waiting a few months, I've listened through it. Gotta say, meh. It's not that I'm disappointed, because it has a great production, and in terms of albums, I think this is probably their best since Turn.

Perhaps it's because I haven't seen them in concert in ages or something, but I'm having a hard time finding enthusiasm for this album. I'm finding there's a certain disconnect. I knew this album would be different, but I'd have expected at least a song or two to click, but at this stage, none have. And Walk on the Moon, which I thought sounded out of place when first hearing it as a single, continues to sound out of place on the album. Sounds more like a song that would have fit on Something Beautiful instead. I continue to have the opinion that it was the wrong song as a first single as it doesn't fit the style of production they had going for the entire album, which is a more "take it by the horns" approach. Maybe the songs will grow on me.

If there's one good thing about the album is that it sounds like the energy is back. The one complaint I had about Sea of No Cares and Something Beautiful, is that they were too perfect sounding, that all the energy had been sucked out of the songs. Not so here, and Alan tends to sound like a completely different animal, no pun intended.

Overall, I'm not overly impressed. Though, perhaps it will grow on me. With each new GBS album though, I tend to feel as though GBS isn't for me anymore. Maybe they will be for you. Ironically, this is probably the album that will finally net them a Juno award.


www.greatbigsea.com

No comments:

Post a Comment