Monday, July 31, 2006

Currently Reading: Hornblower & The Atropos

Did I say I was a slow reader? Sure seems like I'm going through books lately and contridicting what I said earlier. But the fact of the matter is, the books I've been reading lately have been easier to read than I thought they would, so I'm just blowing through books at a fast pace.

This one is part of C.S Forester's Horatio Hornblower series of novels, and the first novel of his that I read. It's part of the books in the pile that I got last year while in Vermont. Amazing that I've still got books in that pile that I haven't read yet and I only paid a dollar total for all of them. They sure were worth it for the reading I've been doing with them.

Unfortunately, I can't find a summary of this book without spoiling it both here and for myself, but if you've seen the A&E series of movies, then you'll love reading this. I've started reading the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin series of novels, which the Master & Commander movie was based on, and in comparison, this novel feels more simplistic and less stylistic, and almost more mainstream. So far, I've enjoyed the Patrick O'Brian novels more since he has more of a flair for descriptions, and makes you almost feel like you're there, enough to smell the sea water. So, so far, it's good, but not as good as I'd hoped it would be.

7 comments:

  1. how many books do you average read in a month?

    ReplyDelete
  2. coming up close to a month and no post??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You caught me during a trip. I'll be posting one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're still waiting for a post, lol!

    But then, maybe you haven't done much reading lately? I know I haven't had much time for reading lately. I'm normally an avid reader, but as of late every time I pick up a book something happens that makes me put it back down before I've even had time to open it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe yeah, I know you mean. I was busy this month, too much to really read. I've had to get used to getting up earlier than I usually do for this trip, so by the time I got to read, It didn't take me long to feel sleepy and put the book down and sleep.

    Anyway, new post up!

    Oh and glad to have a new reader! Welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete