Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Currently Reading: Nighttime is My Time - Mary Higgins Clark

Well, I just started this one a few days ago as I don't feel like getting into anything heavy just yet.

This is my first from hers and it's not bad, but it's also not that great. The character names are very generic sounding, and the chapters are also very short. I suppose that's kind of what I'm getting to with this kind of mainstream author. I'll post an update when I finish this book and post my thoughts about it in more detail, which is something I should be doing from now on with books.

Description:

"The definition of an owl had always pleased him: a night bird of prey...sharp talons and soft plumage which permits noiseless flight...applied figuratively to a person of nocturnal habits. 'I am The Owl,' he would whisper to himself after he had selected his prey, 'and nighttime is my time.'"

Jean Sheridan, a college dean and prominent historian, sets out to her hometown to attend the twenty-year reunion of Stonecroft Academy alumni, where she is to be honored along with six other members of her class. There is something uneasy in the air: one woman in the group about to be feted, Alison Kendall, a beautiful, high-powered Hollywood agent, drowned in her pool during an early-morning swim. Alison is the fifth woman in the class whose life has come to a sudden, mysterious end.

Adding to Jean's sense of unease is a taunting, anonymous fax she received, referring to her daughter -- a child she had given up for adoption twenty years ago.

At the award dinner, Jean is introduced to Sam Deegan, a detective obsessed by the unsolved murder of a young woman who may hold the key to the identity of the Stonecroft killer. Jean does not suspect that among the distinguished people she is greeting is The Owl, a murderer nearing the countdown on his mission of vengeance against the Stonecroft women who had mocked and humiliated him, with Jean as his final victim.

UPDATE - April 25th:
Well, I finished the book and while I originally thought I wouldn't like it, I did really like it and I thought it was quite a good mystery. I realize there are two types of mystery novels. There are the murder mysteries and some of them can tend to be quite gruesome. I personally like them when it's just hinted at and not explicitly given in detail, and this book rides the thin line between both. I did like the fact that I kept on guessing who the murderer was as hints were dropped about who it may be. It maybe you realize that everyone is not as who they seem at first. I think that in the future I'll be reading more of these books of hers.



Author: Mary Higgins Clark
Publisher: Pocket Books
Pages: 464

2 comments: